Edward M. Traber was born in Ohio in about 1865. In 1919 he was arrested and convicted of sodomy in Pierce County, Washington and sentenced to the state penitentiary in Walla Walla. Being an educated man, he was given a work detail as a clerk in the State Clerk's Office.
California Voter Registration
Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California - 1946
Traber, Edward M. 838 S Grand av, Republican
Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California - 1947
Traber, Edward M. 838 S Grand av., Republican
Writings by Edward Traber
Hamilton Daily News Journal (Hamilton, Ohio) - November 20, 1935
**TURNING BACK THE CLOCK
By Edward M. Traber
In view of this time of the possibly wanton destruction of the old Central High school building at South Second and Ludlow streets, it may be interesting to some to recall the beginnings of high-school life in this 43-year-old building — the first separate building for high school purposes in Hamilton.
Previously to the construction of this building, the Hamilton High school was housed until 1879 in two rooms of the old First Ward school, which stood where the Adams school now stands, with the same iron fence on the Ross avenue and C (then known as South Second) street sides. In 1879, owing to the crowded condition of the First Ward school, the "D class" or ninth grade) was transferred to the new and elegant Fourth Ward (Jefferson) building, where it was taken care of for a year under the instruction of Miss Emma Paddock and J. W. Berkstresser. This division of the high school did not prove satisfactory; so in 1880 the entire high school, under the principalship of Miss H. H. Ringwood, was transferred to the third floor of the Fourth Ward school, one of the most roomy, beautifully frescoed, and well-lighted assembly rooms about 35ft x 95ft., with several adjacent pleasant classrooms and backrooms forming the new home of the school. The high school continued in this location until September, 1892, when the school moved into the building, now so soon to be razed.
In 1892 no other city in Ohio (with possibly the exception of Dayton and her beautiful Steele High school) could point to a handsomer, more convenient, or substantial high school building than could Hamilton. The lot cost $10,000.00, while the building cost $47,480.00. There were five rooms on the first floor, six on the second, and two classrooms and a large assembly-room with seating capacity of 500 on the third floor. The basement was equipped with the most scientific heating and sanitary system, together with toilets and fuel rooms. The northeast room of the first floor was used as the meeting place of the hoard of education. The smaller room immediately west of this room was the office of the clerk of the board. The classroom in the northwest corner of the same floor was the Latin and Greek room, in charge of Edward M. Traber, of Hamilton High school, class of 1886. On the second floor, the southeast corner room was Miss Daugherty's room, where that beloved teacher taught in her own inimitable was English literature, physiology, botany and rhetoric. Almost every pupil of the days gone by was fortunate enough to come into the wonderful atmosphere of Miss Daugherty's magnetic instruction. While she was yet in her teens, away back in 1861-2, her wonderful teaching ability called her away from her high school class just as she was about to graduate with Miss Laura Creighton, Dan Millikin and James E. Neal, int he class of 1862.
In the northeast corner of the same floor, the principal, Dr. William P. Cape, who succeeded Miss Ringwood, in 1885, taught in a masierly fashion higher mathematics, civics and United States history, besides having the general supervision of the school. In the smaller room west of Doctor Cope's classroom (his office) was housed the high school library, which was growing by leaps and bounds through Doctor Cope's recognized influence in securing for new books from the board of education such money as came from the tuition of non-resident pupils in the high school.
The classroom to the west of this office or library was that of Miss Pauline Steffe, a veteran teacher in love with her work who was in charge of the teaching of German. The southwest classroom of the second floor was that of Miss Emma V. Sweet, a graduate of the Hamilton high, class of 1873, who taught English literature, algebra and general history. Miss Sweet had been one of the most intellectual of Miss Ringwood's pupils; and this fact spoke for her success as a teacher.
The room on the second floor directly over the Ludlow street entrance, was the office of the superintendent of schools, C. C. Miller, a short man close to the 215-pound weight, classically and athletically inclined.
For a few years, the High school was not altogether alone in the building, the southwest and the southeast rooms on the first floor being occupied by the two eighth grades of the city under the administration, respectively, of Miss Lucy Crawford and Miss Frank E. Thompson.
Dedication: The new high school building was formally dedicated on Labor Day, September 5, 1892, with the following program:
Overture "Stradella," Mayer's orchestra; prayer, the Rev. C. W. Gullette; address, Supt. C. C. Miller, duet, "Nigh Bird Song," Miss Louise Schwenn and Miss Clara Rentti; address, Col. James E. Neal; solo, "Longing," Miss Olga Herrmann; address, Dr. Dan Millikin; trio, "Ye Fields of Light," Misses Schwenn and Rentti and Mr. Robert Temple; orchestra, selection, Mayer's orchestra.
First Class: The first class to begin high school work in the new building was the class of 1896; the first class to graduate from the new building was that of 1893, numbering 41 students, as follows:
Boys: Arthur C. Baird, Clarence Bennett, Lucius S. Cory, James C. Cummius, Leigh G. Curtis, Emmet C. Dix, Paul Enston, Herman E. Herrmann, David E. Lewis, Robert J. Shank, Perley P. Sheehan, John Roy Simpson, and Herbert M. Stace.
Girls: Rosa Babeck, Nellie Babeck, Lillian B. Berry, Cornelia A. Bowers, Ellen M. Dwyer, Harriet Eiher, Winifred B. Fox, Mary Gath, Anna M. Hamilton, Louise Hammerle, Lizzie M. Hancock, Eugenie C. Hartkoff, Mary E. Henninger, Susie E. Jacobs, Elizabeth F. Leih, Jessie A. Louthan, Sophie L. Margedant, Kate L. Rahfuse, Rose Rahfuse, Jessie E. Richter, Corinne I. Rife, Bessie Roll, Clara R. Saunders, Ella K. Sponnenberger, Sarah E. Steen, Mary R. Symes, Stella M. Traber and Mary S. Wick.
Five Instructors: The enrollment in the high school for 1892-93 was 206, 32 boys and 124 girls. Five intructors took care of these 206 pupils from 8:40 in the morning until 4:40 in the afternoon, a half-hour being allowed at lunch time, fifteen minutes for the pupils to eat their brought-from house lunches in their home rooms, and fifteen minutes for them to roam about the halls, but not to go outside. Although Hamilton boasted of a good high school, she did not have the effrontery to boast about salaries paid either in high school or in the grades. The salary of the principal was $1,500.00 a year for ten months, or 200 days of school. Each of the other high school instructors received $850 a year. Each eighth grade teacher received $650 a year.
The Picture: Accompanying this reminiscence is a photograph of the "faculty" taken with Mr. Traber's camera by Robert Elser, janitor of Central High in October, 1892, just a few weeks after the school had moved to its own new home. The back row, from left to right; Miss Pauline Steffe and Miss Lissa Daugherty; front row, from left to rights; Miss Emma V. Sweet, Dr. W. P. Cope and Mr. Traber. Only two of these instructors are now living: Miss Steffe, of Boulder, Colorado, and Mr. Traber, of Hamilton.
Washington State Penitentiary, Walla Walla, Washington - Jan 10, 1920
|Traber, Edward M.||Prisoner||M||W||50||Single||Ohio||Ohio||Pennsylvania||State Clerk Office|
Hamilton Evening Journal (Hamilton, Ohio) - August 19, 1924
We Have With Us Today
Edward Traber of Spokane, Wash. Former Hamiltonian. A Hamilton visitor, because of the sickness of his aged mother, is Prof. Edward Traber of Spokane, Washington. Prof. Traber is no longer in school work. He was in the high school of Spokane for several years and taught with much success. Recently he gave up school work and is now an accountant and is specializing in income tax and corporation reports. Mr. Traber says he is very happy in his new work.
Hamilton Daily News (Hamilton, Ohio) - July 9, 1929
Edward M. Traber received $2,410.73 from the estate of his brother, Jacob M. Traber, and paid an inheritance tax of $95.54, papers filed Tuesday show.
Hamilton Daily News (Hamilton, Ohio) - December 19, 1932
Miss Hattie M. David Taken By Death;
Oldest Graduate Of Cin'ti. School Mourned
Miss Hattie M. S. David, long a resident of Hamilton, died on Sunday evening of bronchial pneumonia after a very brief illness. Miss David, daughter of Henry and Elizabeth David, was born in Philadelphia, Pa., January 5, 1836, thus missing her 97th birthday anniversary by only a few days. In 1843, Miss David with her brothers and sisters was brought by her parents to Cincinnati, where she grew up, being educated in the public schools, graduating from Woodward High School in 1854, of which school she has for some time been the oldest graduate, as well as the oldest living graduate of the Cincinnati schools. No graduate of any other school could have been more loyal than she has always been to Woodward and its beloved traditions.
Soon after her graduation, she was frequently called to do substitute teaching in the schools; and a not very robust constitution was all that prevented her acceptance of a permanent position. In one of the district schools where her services as instructor were needed, she taught the mental arithmetic for all the grades, thus being one of the first department teachers in Southern Ohio.
Later, being attracted to kindergarten work, she opened a private kindergarten at her home, still later taking a thorough course at the St. Louis Kindergarten Institute. But uncertain health and strength prevented her carrying on her chosen work.
After the death of her father in 1873, Miss David came to Hamilton to make her home with her sister Louise, Mrs. Joseph Traber; and with the exception of a few visits in the East, she has been a resident of Hamilton for almost sixty years at the old Traber home at 16 North B. street. She outlived all of her immediate family and distanced them all in age. She dearly loved children and was affectionately known almost over all the city, as well as at Woodward, as "Aunt Hattie." She was a lover of fresh air and nature, and could be seen in all conditions of weather walking briskly along the streets, sometimes depending upon a cane, but oftener without one.
In her religious belief, Miss David was a devout member of the Protestant Episcopal Church, having been baptized in Old St. Peter's Church, Philadelphia, in 1837, by the Rev. Doctor Odenheimer, later Bishop of New Jersey; and she received the rite of Confirmation in Christ Church, Cincinnati, from Bishop McIlvaince. So long as her health would permit, she was a faithful member and supporter of Trinity Church, Hamilton.
In politics, Miss David was a staunch and unswerving Democrat of the Jacksonian type, taking very sorrowfully any defeat her party suffered. She was the oldest registered voter of Hamilton.
In later years, she seemed to have outlived her earlier ailments and was in unusual physical condition for one of her years, when the prevalent epidemic of colds caught her. This soon turned into pneumonia, which her frail body could not combat, she falling asleep happy to join the other loved ones of her family, desirous of sharing with them their salvation.
A niece, Mrs. W. D. Hartupee, of Pittsburgh, (a daughter of Miss David's sister Henriette O'Connor), a nephew, Francis M. David, of New Orleans, La., (a son of Miss David's eldest brother Jacob), and a nephew, Edward M. Traber, (son of Miss David's sister Louise P. Traber), and a grandnephew and three grandnieces in Philadelphia (grandchildren of Miss David's eldest sister, Mrs. Mary Porter) survive her.
The funeral will be held on Wednesay afternoon, December 21, at 2 o'clock, from the Robert G. Taylor Funeral home, where friends may call on Tuesday afternoon and evening. Burial will be in Spring Grove Cemetery, Cincinnati, along side her father and mother.
Hamilton Daily News Journal (Hamilton, Ohio) - August 7, 1935
Edward M. Traber has returned to Hotel Anthony Wayne after a summer among the Adirondacks.
Hamilton Daily News Journal (Hamilton, Ohio) - August 30, 1935
EDWARD TRABER ILL; TAKEN TO HOSPITAL
Edward Traber, residing at the Hotel Anthony Wayne, was removed to the Fort Hamilton hospital, Thursday night, for treatment.
Hamilton Daily News Journal (Hamilton, Ohio) - October 3, 1935
TRABER DISMISSED FROM HOSPITAL
Edward M. Traber has been dismissed from Fort Hamilton hospital after a protracted illness, caused by a carbuncle.
Hamilton Daily News Journal (Hamilton, Ohio) - October 24, 1936
Edward M. Traber To
Attend Wedding in New York
Edward M. Traber left Friday for Mexico, N.Y., for the home of his cousins Mrs. Lydia B. Traber Scott and Mrs. Louise C. Dawley to attend the wedding of Mrs. Dawley and Prof. James E. Rice, retired head of the department of poultry husbandry, Cornell university. The wedding will take place on October 31, at "Dawleydale" the summer home of Mrs. Scott near Mexico.
Mrs. Dawley has been a lecture and demonstrator in Prof. Rice's department.
Hamilton Daily News Journal (Hamilton, Ohio) - May 5, 1937
Paintings Presented to H.H.S. By Edward Traber at Assembly
By Stella Wetler Taylor
Before an assemblage of the entire high school, faculty and pupils, Edward Munson Traber, a graduate in the class of 1886 and for five years teacher of Latin, Greek and public speaking in the school, this morning formally presented to the present principal, C. W. White, two magnificent oil paintings, handsomely gold framed, in memory of his former teachers and colleagues, Dr. William P. Cope and Miss Lissa? Daugherty and as a tribute of affection for his alma mater.
The paintings are of definite artistic value, one, "The Meadow," by de Lue, very much in the mood and manner of Corot, and serenly pastural as a Wordsworth poem. The other, "The Craftsman," by Edgar Ward of Urbana, of the realistic school, vividly detailed and inspiring.
Mr. White, in introducing Mr. Traber, said he had been graduated from H. H. S. in June, 1886, in a class of 22 members, 18 girls and 4 boys, later attending college, at Heidelberg, and the Universities of Chicago and Cincinnati. He taught in the high school here from 1890 to 1895, in the State college, Fort Collins, Colorado, for nine years and in the summer school of Ohio University 1907-08. He won the reputation of being one of the finest Latin professors in Ohio.
In most interesting fashion Mr. Traber reviewed his school days, beginning at the old "First Ward School," when the high school occupied one large room on the third floor from 1862 (class of Dr. Dan Miltikin? and Col. Neal) to 1880; the "A Grammar" days with J. W. Berkstresser ("Berky") the only republican teacher in all democratic Hamilton, and then, for an hour, gave graphic account of his high school years (1882-85) in the present Jefferson building, where he served later as a member of the faculty for five years.
"I am proud of the Hamilton High school," said Mr. Traber, "as you are, too-all of you, and these paintings are given to you in token of my affectionate regard."
Then he mentioned, in turn, his teachers, Miss H. H. Ringwood, Eliza Cornel, Pauline Steffe, and others, with extended tribute to the two who inspired his gift of picnics, Dr. W. P. Cope, and the "large-brained, great-hearted" Lassa Daugherty, who both brought a new and fuller understanding to the students in their care.
A remarkable record, he said, is that in the 73 years of the H. H. S. existence, only five principals have held sway: Miss Ringwood, Doctor Cope, Charles Lake, Mr. Townsend, and C. W. White.
The talk, entirely extempore, was enlivened with frequent flashes of wit and proved highly interesting to all present. Mr. Traber was given a salve of appreciative applause.