Chronology of LGBT historical events:
- 1937 - Dr. Newdigate M. Owensby of Atlanta begins treating homosexuals with convulsive shock induced therapy with Metrazol, a chemical stimulent. Owensby gave miraculous testimonies in 1940 that could never be duplicated by other doctors.
- 1969 - Aug 17 - Atlanta Police, under the pretense of it being an illicit and predominantly homosexual event, raided a local art theater showing Warhols' "Lonesome Cowboy" and took photos of members of the audience. One person in the audience, a minister, filed a $500,000 law suit against the police.
- 1982 - Michael Hardwick files an appeal challenging the sodomy law in the state.
- 1986 - US Supreme Court holds up the sodomy law against the 1982 Hardwick appeal.
- 1990 - Dec 24 - Edna Brown is shot to death in Atlanta.
- 1991 - Oct 14 - Huriell Lockett, aka David King, is shot to death in Atlanta.
- 1991 - Oct 29 - Rhonda Starr, aka Ronnie D. Lyles, is shot and killed in Atlanta.
- 1991 - Nov 8 - Jean Powell, aka Woodrow, is shot to death in Atlanta.
- 1992 - Nov 8 - Anthony Swain is stabbed to death in Atlanta.
- 1992 - Dec 19 - Derry Glenn is shot and killed in Atlanta.
- 1992 - Dec 20 - An unidentified transvestite is killed by a blunt force trauma to the head in Atlanta.
- 1993 - Jan 14 - Elizabeth Kelle Davidson is shot in a gay bar.
- 1995 - Oct 11 - Quincy Favors Taylor is shot in Atlanta
- 1997 - Jan - "The Otherside Lounge" is bombed in Atlanta.
- 1997 - May 30 - Federal Appeals Court rules 8-4 that Attorney General Michael Bowers did not violate the Constitution by firing Robin Shahar on learning that she and her partner had joined a religious commitment ceremony.
- 1997 - Oct 2 - School superintendent Linda Schrenko angers the PTA leaders saying she would not join because the PTA was too liberal and supported Gay and Lesbian rights.
- 1997 - Nov 14 - Emory University, affiliated with the Methodist church, announces it will allow same-sex couples to say marriage vows in its chapels, but only if officiated by a leader of one of 24 recognized religious groups.
- 1998 - Jan 12 - Lesbian lawyer Robin Shahar, unlawfully denied a job by Georgia attorney general because of her marriage to another woman, loses her Supreme Court appeal.
- 1999 - March 29 - Tracy Thompson, 33, is beaten with a bat in Cordele.
- 1999 - Oct 15 - Charles Bolden, aka Sissy, is killed in Savannah.
- 2000 - Nov 20 - Billy Jean Levette is killed in Savannah
- 2001 - Atlanta Braves relief pitcher John Rocker is suspended for making racist and homophobic comments in an interview to Sports Illustrated.
page revision: 0, last edited: 02 Jan 2010 21:30